Thursday, February 10, 2005

One of those wild roller coaster rides.....

Remember last week when I compared my life to a roller coaster ride? Well, last night, I went down one of those 180 degree drops---straight down and very fast! Our poor little family of seven has been fighting the two kinds of flu, and every day, I can hardly wait to see which child has which version of these nasty bugs going around!

Yesterday, Sam and Micah stayed home with the coughing bug, and Hannah started coughing as well. I always dread it when the little babies get it, because they don't understand why they feel so badly. Anyway, as the day progressed, I noticed that my stomach was hurting, but I just attributed it to the fact that I had not eaten a whole lot all day.

So, when supper time rolled around, the kids voted for a taco supper, and I complied. I don't know how long it has been since we have had tacos, but I cannot remember the last time. I had bought the fixings on the last trip to the store, and since I was not feeling so great, I figured it would be a quick and easy dinner.

Well, about 9 o'clock, I started to get that feeling where, well, you know, you feel like you are going to--toss your tacos. I fought it as long as I could, and then I announced to the family that I was going to be heading upstairs to see if I could get any relief.

It all hit at once, as it always does, and I had about an hour of "fun." "Ralph" and "Montezuma" both met me there, and we had a big time. I was really grateful that I had thoroughly cleaned the bathroom over the weekend, including the floor, because I lay on it for a long time.

I had visions of when I lay on the bathroom floor of the hotel right after Tim and I married with a gall stone attack. I did not know what it was at the time, but I knew it was bad. I'll tell you that story sometime. It has to be up there on the top ten list in the stories of my life.

At any rate, the room spun last night, and I yelled down once to tell the family that I might be losing consciousness at some point, so if they heard a thud, they should come check. Daniel was kind enough to blow me up a plastic bath pillow and bring it to me so that I could put it under my head on the floor.

There just is not anything pretty about stomach flu, is there? It is one of those solitary journeys we make in life. Grown men fear it more than just about anything. I just pray that no more of the kids have to take this journey this month!

In other news, Tim went back to the doctor yesterday and was told that he seems to have avoided going under the knife, this time! His ligaments have mended enough that the doctor told him that he could attempt to throw down his crutches and walk on his own, if it did not hurt too much. The doctor will see him in six more weeks, and if all is still well, he will release him. That is certainly wonderful news, and news that I did not believe could happen. It surely looked like 3 major ligaments ripping in the knee would have a hard time jumping back up there and mending themselves together, but the body is a wonderful machine, and God is good!

The boys are due to go to East Tennessee for a basketball game tomorrow night, but I wonder if the weather/and/or the school closings over there due to the flu outbreak will cause the game to be canceled.

Right now, we are just trying to avoid any spreading of Mr. Puke Bug, as my fellow-blogger Jennifer calls it! I am praying for a good, cleansing, hard snow to eradicate some of this sickness that inevitably seems to come when our winters are warm. I am wondering if the days of snows are over in Tennessee. It seems we have become the new Florida of sorts. While the North gets hit with massive blizzards, and Florida gets blown away with hurricane after hurricane, we sit up here in the 60's and 70's in the middle of winter.

Well, the Bee is crying....did you see her pictures below? She is such a doll, but so demanding! I think she needs some meds and then back to bed for the both of us!

Have a great day!!!!

No comments: