Saturday, June 18, 2005

Being a Slug

Every since we made it through the graduation of my oldest boy, my brain has refused to work for a living. It promptly went on vacation, and so far, it has refused to return to work yet. Thus, I am having to manage without it.

Life without your brain is interesting. You forget to do the most ordinary tasks like feed the children or mail Father's Day Cards. Luckily, the children remind you when they need to eat. Cards don't stand up and say, "Mail me." So, unfortunately, to all the important men in my life---grandpa's, great-grandpa's, uncles, and even my dear Father-in-law, I offer you my sincere apologies! Your cards are going to be a little late, but they are coming.

My A.W.O.L. brain is not the only malfunctioning part of my body these days. Yes, folks, I do believe I am going to lose one more now-non-essential part before my post-surgical days are over. 3 guesses as to which part that is. I'll give you a hint. It has carried 5 babies to term and two others that did not make it to term. It has done its job, and now, it is begging to go the way of other worn out, non-essential organs like my appendix, thyroid and gall bladder. Methinks that I will at least wait until the fall, because once you have surgery, you cannot lift anything for at least 6 weeks, and longer if they do you like they did me in 2003. Those kind of surgeries take a year to get over. Hmmm....I wonder if I could find a doctor who would take my tonsils, too, in a 2 for 1 special????? I think if I get rid of these two things, I shouldn't have too many more troubles until I get to really old age and start having to have things tacked up! Unfortunately, no one wants to take a 42-year-old's tonsils out anymore.

Speaking of A.W.O.L., is it just my imagination, or have a bunch of bloggers seemingly been abducted by aliens or something??? No one is updating much these days! C'mon, people, let's get cracking. I am the only one who is allowed to go a week here without writing something, due to my cerebrum absentia.

Well, changing the subject, since I have been unable to accomplish much at home this week due to the missing brain and my missing 18 year old (he has been off working for his Uncles this week making some moolah, I figured that we would head on out tonight to a shower/garden party/potluck with the group from the Columbia church! It was rescheduled from last week due to rain. It was a wonderful party! They had really gone all out on the sweet decorations for a garden party for a really nice young couple who married in April. The couple had planned a summer wedding, but they had to move the date up when the bride's mother found out that she had breast cancer. Knowing she would start chemo soon and lose her hair, they decided to have the wedding earlier so that Mom would have her hair in the pictures. There was not time for a shower before the wedding, so they had one tonight.

The food was yummy, and we all had a good time visiting on an unseasonably cool night. We did a little karaoke without the microphone or the music---I guess that is a capella, not karaoke! A few others tried too, but most were down right chicken! It was just about right, temperature-wise. I am hoping against hope that it will stay this way through the summer and that we won't have the murderously hot temps we usually have in Tennessee in the summer. A good time was had by all members of the family, and the kids were especially proud of the little portable fans that were given out to those who wanted them. They let the kids take them home at the end of the night, and you would have thought that my kids had been given a big hunk of gold or something!

The kids are worried about the cool temps affecting their ability to go in their MeMe's and Pappy's pool this weekend. I don't think it will be too cold, with the daytime temps around here reaching the 80's and low 90's sometimes. Sam's birthday is Monday (my other "baby" is turning 17--boo hoooo hooooo hooooo hoooo!) I guess we will celebrate Father's Day and Sam's birthday this weekend, in addition to going to a gospel meeting Sunday afternoon between services of our church. If I hold up, I will be doing 4 services Sunday! But it is always really great! Any of you who are close enough, call us for details about Marcella Falls' meeting and come see us!

This has been a really lazy week, but when Daniel gets back, we really have to kick it up a level, and start cleaning out kid junk. Way too much has accumulated, and it is time to sell some, consign some, and Ebay the rest. Add to that my planning the kids' home schooling for the fall, and I have my summer cut out for me. I have two who have to get their driver's licenses and then jobs, and we would like to get a vacation in there somewhere. But the way my husband's work load has been this year as they re-structure a lot of things, I am wondering when we are going to all get out of here for a while.

Oh, well, lucky for me that we have a ready-made retreat for us anytime we can get there at my mom and dad's place. Add to that 3 brothers, 2 lovely sisters-in-law, and 3 adorable nieces/nephew in the same town, and we end up not really caring if we make it out of the state. I would love to see my in-laws up in Jersey along with his siblings who are more spread out, but maybe we can convince them to come down here! I'm getting too old to travel far, and with this missing brain thing, it is probably better that we do not stray too far from home!

No comments: