Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Update on My Top 10 List

Recently, I told my two wonderful readers about the things I have been doing and praying about lately. When I first started blogging, it seems I had more time to detail what was happening on a more frequent basis. Life changes, and people do, too. I evolve all the time as a wife and mother. One thing I like about reading inspiring blogs is that it challenges you to be a better person, constantly reminding you of things you need to do or do better.

I have found that blogs are like a box of chocolates, to borrow from a famous quotation. There are all kinds, because there are all kinds of people. Like some news stories that I just cannot bring myself to read, because of the usually depressing, gory or just plain wicked content, there are some blogs that I have come across that I cannot finish. However, there are a lot of inspiring ones out there as well, and I love the way that they tie in Bible verses and concepts with the theme of the day.

Having said that, I have to remember to always get a good balance of daily Bible reading, for there lies real truth and real answers to life's questions and challenges. No blog can substitute for the Word of God. Between studying the Bible and raising my children and training them, trying to be a good wife and daughter and sister, and attempting the impossible task of keeping a reasonably clean house (which I have decided is just going to be impossible until Hurricane Hannah gets a little age on her)and trying to find a little time to eBay and the like, there just is not much time for writing these days.

Anyway, I am very happy to report that my dad is doing remarkably better! So many people were praying for him, and he got cards from all over the land from people who cared and prayed. He still cannot exert, but his sense of humor has survived, along with his appetite, so I think he has had a reprieve for a while, and for that I am tremendously grateful.

My sister-in-law, Brooke, had a little twenty-four hour period of shock, when the doctor told her that she might be carrying twins! Poor little tiny size 2?? Brooke just about lost it. However, a subsequent ultrasound on stronger equipment revealed that it looks more like one (unless one is hiding!) She is at the "peanut" stage, when baby looks like a little peanut! I remember Daniel looking like that once! Those of you who know him now probably can't believe he was ever the size of a peanut, huh? :) I'm not sure we have a due date yet, but I will keep you posted!
Auntie D'Lee wants a little red-headed girl, but parents want a little boy! I think we will all be happy with any baby we get!

We are almost finished with this round of homeschooling, but I think we are going to continue to work through the summer with some fun projects to keep us in the swing of things. I think it is important for the kids to read during the summer, more than they have time to in the school year. I have several of the classics planned for them. Since I "majored" in English, I have my favorites that I want to share with them. Taking into account their interests, I think they will enjoy some of these books very much.

Sarah is reading every thing she can get her hands on. She requested that I order her a copy of "Through the Looking Glass" which I did, and she has been reading some of that. I think it is a little over her head, seeing that she is in kindergarten, but if she wants to read, I don't want to discourage her.

Writing is coming harder for her. It did for me, too. She is an artist, so I thought she would pick up on it faster. She can write anything she wants to, but she is still using a mix of capital and lower-case letters. I guess we will have to work all the harder on that next year. She is a lefty, and it feels really funny trying to teach her to write. I may have to cart her over to my father, who is the only living lefty (besides German resident brother Don) who could help her.

Micah wants me to take teacher's prerogative and skip him a grade! He has been doing a curriculum that is a year ahead of where he is, but I don't know if his maturity level dictates that to be a good move. We have plenty of time to decide that a little later.

My Sam is nearly through. I cannot believe I will have another little eaglet flying the coop soon. He is trying to decide what career path he would like to prepare for, and I don't envy him, as that is one of life's toughest decisions. Sam is a scrapper, though, and I know he will succeed at whatever he sets his mind to do.

Speaking of eaglets, the oldest is loving his life in Kentucky. He feels like he finally has found the peer group he never had here. There's quite a "fraternity" of Christians there who do everything together and share everything from car rides to food to advice with one another. Two particular housefuls of boys hang out all the time, eat together, date in groups (which Mom heartily approves of) and frequent lots of churches in the area when they are holding special lectures and meetings. There just really isn't time for him to do all there is to do. The church leaders where he attends provide numerous opportunities for the young people to have Bible studies, singings, and social events, and he gets frustrated because he would love to be at them all but can't, if he ever wants to get any sleep. He still is plugging along as a barista at Starbucks and is very happy that his benefits finally kicked in. I feel better knowing that if he gets sick, he can now afford a doctor!

Speaking of doctors, I had to go see one last Friday. I just felt awful. I still don't feel great, even though I have been through a Z-pac now. I hope it keeps working like they say it will. I really prefer good ol' penicillin to the other antibiotics, but the doctors will hardly give it anymore. I don't know what this is, but I woke up at 3:30 a.m. with a 101 degree fever. This---after 5 days of antibiotics. If I did not know better, I would think that I had mono. But I had that in college, and I have been told you don't get it again. I am beginning to wonder. I have read of so many people who have been getting it lately....

Well, that is the update. I have one more piece of cute news, but I will share that and pictures in the next post!

No comments: