Sunday, May 21, 2006

Late Sunday Update!


Well, it has been an interesting weekend! No boredom here! :) I've had one of those weekends where I have had an interesting mix of good news and bad news. The good has been really good, and the bad has been pretty sad and yucky.

Here's the good news:

1. Dad is better! THANK YOU to all you sweet Christians who have been praying for him. It's working! Don't stop now! We have a ways to go, but he made it out to both church services today and to a potluck out at my brother's house later! That is a huge step in the right direction! We think that he was once again taking a medicine which was conflicting with something in his internal make-up and exacerbating the congestive heart failure. I am going to go over there myself and throw away all the offending meds so that he cannot take them again. He switched himself (not usually recommended, but necessary in this case due to a hard-headed doctor) back to his old blood pressure medicine, and he started getting better. He really had me worried there for a couple of weeks. I pray we are on a upward road now!

2. Two precious souls were saved this weekend in the gospel meeting at the Marcella Falls church where Mom and Dad and two of my brothers attend. My brother the preacher, affectionately referred to in this family as "Parson Dan," was so moved on Friday evening by the response of one lady that he reportedly was blubbering in the baptistry! A big ole strapping country boy, Dan was fortunate enough to be able to baptize the 7-month pregnant lady without incident. My other brother, Doug, (who has been mistaken for Dan's twin, even though Doug is seven years the elder) quipped that it surely is rough to see an overgrown man cry! My truly-twin brothers Don and Drew were not able to be present. Don is currently in from Germany but ailing with a nasty flu-like virus, and Drew has been off in Mexico or somewhere celebrating his first anniversary and impending fatherhood which is expected around December or January!

3. Did I mention that I am going to be an aunt again? Brooke will give us a likely-red-headed little darling at the end of the year, Lord-willing. I'm betting on a boy at this point, as she hasn't been as sick as I think you get with girls.

4. We are seeing the end of a long run in an overcrowded church building within a week or two now. With lots of elbow grease, we should be out of the old and in the new by the first of June.

5. The new car is getting reasonably good gas mileage. A fill-up is half of what it used to be and lasts about twice as long. Too bad the family vehicle does not get the same mileage.

The bad news----

1. Word came today that Mrs. Agnes passed away. She was the lady who moved into my grandmother's house when they sold it at auction. She looked so much like my grandmother, and her husband looked so much like my granddaddy that it was scary. They took over the grandparents' tire business as well, and held it until my brothers Doug and Dan redeemed it a few years ago. Ironically, Mrs. Agnes died at the same age my dear grandmother died---83!

2. Our friend Mark lost his uncle in a fiery car crash in AR yesterday. The uncle had survived cancer, but he did not survive a collision with an 18-wheeler. I'm sad for the family, and we pray for them and send them love.

3. My air conditioner died. It was an expected death, but we were hoping it would make it a few more months. It knew we just got a new car payment. It wanted to be sure our lives were never boring or without challenge.

4. It just keeps raining and storming here. Is anyone else in the whole country having wacky weather? I had nine 2nd-4th graders huddled under chairs in a 8' x 8' swatch of classroom this morning at church while hail hit the windows. Children still reeling from the tornado/hail storms of April were clinging to me or underneath their chairs, while I wondered if my husband and two sons out in the portables would be flying off like Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz!" Fortunately, the hail never got too big, and all was well!

5. There is a minor stomach virus/disruption going around. I had it Wednesday, Tim had it Saturday, and it looks like Micah may be the next victim. Thankfully, no one has tossed any cookies or any other stomach contents yet, for that matter. It just hurts!

Well, that is the update for now, for all you two readers. Hope you have a wonderful week! And don't forget to keep praying!

No comments: