Monday, May 22, 2006

Since Mother's Day took a backseat to an ailing Dad....



My mother is one of the most gracious women I have ever known. Of course, she gets a lot of that from her own dear mother and grandmother, reportedly two of the sweetest women to ever grace the earth with their presence. While none of the three was/is sinless, they have always provided their children with wonderful examples of how a lady should act, live, and treat her children.

When my mother's time on earth is done, an image I will probably always carry with me in my mind is the picture of her smile. She has a wonderful laugh. It translates well over the phone, too, where we sometimes laugh until we cry. We did that just today. Those times are the best! A mother's smile can brighten the dreariest of days, whether you are 3 or 43.

This year, Mother's Day got shoved to the side because my dad was very sick. There was no real pomp and circumstance to mark Mother's Day---just a brief opening of the Mother's Day goody bags and cards for her and for me from our children. She still cooked dinner; she still cleaned up the dishes. There was no moping that we couldn't be taken out to dinner--only gratitude that Dad woke up another day. "He surely took good care of me last year when I was so sick," she remembered as we put up dishes. Now, it's her turn to try and nurse him back. That's what people who love each other do best!

If my parents did not get one more day on earth, I will feel good that they have had a couple of "retirement years" to spend together. The early years were not like that. Dad was a Highway Patrolman, working over 70 hours a week for no more pay than if he had worked 40 hours. Mom spent over 40 years as a cytotechnologist (many of those years at home in a "home laboratory" so she could be with us children,) diagnosing pap smears and biopsies, etc. Dad spent the last 12 years of his working life separated many nights from Mom, bringing in the dearly departed loved ones of others to the local funeral home at all hours of the day and night, working days on end sometimes without a break. Mom was always courageous and gracious, whatever trials came. They worked hard, and I am happy they have a few years now to enjoy the fruit of their labors on this earth, and to sleep and awaken together!

Mom and Dad on their 45th anniversary this year

So, better late than never, here's to a true lady--my heroine--my role model--my best friend--my Mom!

This poem reflects how she lived, and now, I proudly follow her example:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some houses try to hide the fact that children shelter there,
Ours boasts of it quite openly, the signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows, little smudges on the door;
I should apologize I guess for toys strewn on the floor.
But I sat down with the children and we played and laughed and read,
And if the windows do not shine, their eyes will shine instead.
And when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other,
I want to be a housewife, but first I'll be a mother.


--author unknown


On my wedding day...with 3 of my favorite "mothers"--my Aunt Marty, Mom, and my Aunt Fran

No comments: