Monday, October 24, 2005

Hanging On.....




News Update!

Mom, Dad, and my grandfather are holed up in Pappaw's condo in Sarasota and "holding on." So far, so good there. The electricity is still on. That's a good thing. My grandmother was evacuated to the hospital and is there with her sister til Wilma passes over.

My Dad lost an aunt and an uncle yesterday---one from his Dad's side and one from his Mom's side. Uncle J.W. passed in Tennessee at roughly the same time Aunt Grace passed out in Texas. We are scrambling to see which of my brothers will preach J.W's funeral on Tuesday here. Everyone is displaced right now, and it is going to be tricky to get everything done from where we all are.

I called Mom and Dad last night, last thing before I went to bed and told them to please be careful, as we did not need any more relatives called home right now. Thankfully for our family, anyway, the storm has passed to the south of Sarasota. Now, I just worry for my aged friend Alice in Miami, who is getting too old to keep sleeping on the floors of shelters.

We had a very pleasant Sunday. For the second time in as many weeks, we went to morning services, ate lunch out, and then went to the afternoon special services of churches in our area, and then went back to our own evening service. I got to see an old friend I have not seen in 15 years, and that is always neat! Of course, I was back in my hometown church as well, and I am always overjoyed to see the folks that are still alive after all these years! They are amazing folks. The water is truly special in that town. They all claim that is the secret to their longevity. Hmmm, maybe I need to move back there! I think the water here in Gravyville is killing me.

The kids and I are beat, and I am going to do nothing today except schoolwork, lots of laundry, and perhaps writing a eulogy for my brother to give tomorrow. That's a slow day for us! Remember to pray for those in harm's way today! :)

No comments: