Wednesday, November 30, 2005

What Day Is It Again????

My old brain has been in shock since having the better part of 4 days off last week! I am having trouble adjusting to getting back on a regular week's schedule.

After one whole day of lightening up on my blog and trying to report the good news of the week, I am afraid we are back to doom and gloom today. Daniel has had a friend up in the next town for a few years now. Jared is about 4 years younger than Daniel, but he has always been really close to him. He came to Daniel's graduation in June and went out to eat with us afterwards. We have also been picking Jared up for church from time to time when he could go with us on Wednesday nights.

Jared called us on Monday afternoon with the news that his dad was in the hospital in critical condition. This shocked us a lot, because we did not know he was having any problems. All we know is that he was taking some medications (some for depression--I don't know what else, if any) and he felt like he was getting dehydrated. He began to have some dementia of some kind, as he had trouble doing the easiest things like tying a shoe. At any rate, he apparently consumed about 6 1/4 gallons of Pepsi, one can or bottle at a time, within a short period, and he went into some sort of a diabetic coma-type thing. His family found him unresponsive Monday morning on the sofa. He was admitted at the local hospital, but today, he had a massive heart attack, and they could not get him back. Jared's dad is gone at the tender age of 49.

We are all in shock, but you can imagine how bad it is for Jared's family. Jared is going to have a tough row to hoe, as they say, for he is left with his mom and sister to carry on. Daniel and I were talking about how hard it is to lose anyone anytime, but somehow the holidays seem to make it that much harder. Poor kid! Please say a prayer for their family when you read this!

In brighter news, I am happy to report that Mom and Dad are HOME! The last time I talked to Mom tonight, she was happily settling down in her fairly new wonder-foam adjustable bed which feels like a cloud after sleeping on a hide-away bed for over a week now. I am sure they won't miss a beat tomorrow, jumping right back into their hectic lives instead of resting up a bit. She tells me that there are car tags to get, bills to pay, etc., and these things won't wait for her to rest up from the trip to Florida. Happiest of all are Hannah and Sarah who have not understood where their MeMe and Pappy have disappeared to so much in the last couple of months! They love their grandparents so much that I don't know if they can stand it 'til Sunday when we will see them again, the good Lord willing!

I had to giggle today. I got a call from the local flower shop that they had a delivery for me. I don't think they will ever forget me, after the lavishing that Tim bestowed on me our first Valentine's Day together. Not only did he order me a dozen red roses, but he also ordered a dozen pink ones and a dozen yellow ones and two potted plants! They got there about the same time a gift basket was arriving from the local gift shop as well, and the ladies commented that somebody was madly in love with me! My house looked like the flower shop! Anyway, when the phone rang today, and I saw it was them, I wondered what my husband was doing sending me flowers today. Turns out, it was a flower arrangement from my friends at church in memory of my grandmother! It got my heart racing for a little while..... :) It's a little while till Valentine's Day! They always love to see my hubby coming!

We had another really good laugh tonight at dinner! Micah was ragging on Sam about something, and Sam looked at Micah and said, "Micah, I just have three words for you! You're Stupid!" All of us thought about that one for a second and then burst into laughter. I told Sam that we are going to have to hit the math a little harder! In his defense, he said that he meant to say "You ARE Stupid!" Of course, then we have to have the little talk about calling our brother "Stupid." It was all in good fun. I am lucky that my boys mostly get along and don't slug it out very often, but I realize that wrestling in the floor is a rite of passage. I just feel sorry for my dear mother-in-law who had twice as many boys as I do. How we keep working lamps, I will never know!

Have a good rest of the day, and if you have time, drop me a line and let me know what day it is, will you? Thanks!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hey! I'm glad you finally have your comments turned on again!
I'm so sorry about your grandmother :( ((HUGS))