Friday, February 02, 2007

It Snowed, Mama!



If it is going to snow in Tennessee every year, it usually does it on February 2nd. I don't think I can remember a lot of "Ground Hogs Days" that did not include snow. It also happens to be my parents' wedding anniversary. That is the real reason I can remember that tidbit of information.

Yesterday morning, my wee ones bounded down the stairs to look out at the strange white covering on the ground. I was surprised that they could identify it as snow, since this is the first time in a long time they have seen any! It was not a very respectable snow, but some is better than none at all, I suppose.

Sam and I went to Wal-Mart after church Wednesday night and stocked up on essentials in case it iced instead of snowed. We well remember the ice storm of a few years back which left us immobile for a few days, with no electricity. We bought plenty of drinks, and of course, the essential bread and milk that every Southerner is obliged to buy when snow is predicted. It is amazing how many things there are to think about at a time like this. We bought batteries, as we were down to barely any, t.p., pull-ups, and lots of snacky food that does not have to be refrigerated. I have to admit that I was a little miffed when I saw the light dusting of snow on the lawn. All that for nothing--again. Oh, well, it is nice to stock up on those things for lots of different kinds of crises. Crises or not, you can bet that food does not go to waste here.

Today is my parents' 46th wedding anniversary! Happy Anniversary, Dear Parents! (That picture above was last year's attempt to get all attending grandchildren to sit still for a picture with their grandparents at their 45th celebration!) I know my mom is very grateful to have Dad around this year after all his heart troubles last year. We are all grateful to have him with us.

It's going to be another whirlwind weekend. You can't ignore (though I wish I could) Super Bowl Weekend in this family of football-playing men, and so I am sure there will be a gathering. We may miss the first of the game due to church, but I am sure we won't miss much. We are planning to leave the girls with their grandparents for a week or so, so that I can do some deep cleaning and hopefully make some headway that is not negated by their daily messing up! I surely will miss them, but I hope that they will have a good time with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and best of all--big brother Dan who will see them after classes every day.

I have to go back and do part two of my sleep study this next week. They found out that I do, indeed, have sleep apnea. I stopped breathing 72 times an hour when on my back! I did better on my side, but they said that I need the c-pap device to force breathing. The doctor gave me hope that I may see improvement in a lot of things that have troubled me for years now. Sleep apnea affects blood sugar, your heart, and of course, keeps you tired all the time. It may speed up my metabolism when I sleep properly, he says! Hey, I'll do anything to lose weight effortlessly! The funny part is that I never would have thought that I stop breathing that many times! I won't tell you who else needs to go see these people! Some folks just won't believe that sleep apnea can do all that to you!

I don't mind doing the sleep study thing again. They treat you like a queen. You are in a hospital setting, but the rooms look more like hotel suites. I had a big old plush bed with a flat screen t.v. on the wall, the most wonderful leather recliner, and a nice bathroom all to myself. Of course, I'd rather he were with me, but the object IS to sleep! :) So, I will just have to tough it out another night in my plush suite, although I will have 50 jillion electrodes and a c-pap mask attached, but I can request a sedative if I cannot go to sleep. Last time, I was so sleepy by the time they let me go to sleep that I was begging to be left alone!

The new puppy, which some finally guessed correctly to be a Rottweiler, has been doing very well for a little puppy. She has cried minimally, and she is potty training better than Hannah. Perhaps she can teach Hannah. I have just about given up. Hannah just sees no practical value in potties.

Well, that's the update. May the best team win this weekend, whoever they are. (Will someone tell me who is playing?)

1 comment:

k8 said...

that is so funny. i thought us virginian country folks were the onliest ones who ran to get bread and milk in case of snow. but you also have to cook a ham.