Monday, November 20, 2006

Baby Huey's Return


Well, all-in-all, it was a very pleasant weekend! My baby (Baby Huey, that is) came home for a brief respite and to help us clean out some junk from storage. We managed to have a few leisurely meals together--the best of which was at Applebee's. Yummmmm! Each of us picked his favorite entre' and then we were sharing bites, appreciating each other's steaks, seafood and pasta. It's a great way to get a little of everything. The girls were beside themselves with glee over big brother being home, but they were equally sad when he announced he had to get back for a couple more days of class before the Thanksgiving break.

My toe is coming along fairly well, I think. It changed from black and blue to red today, so I stepped up the Epson salt soaks and the antibiotic drops a bit. If it is not better by tomorrow, I will surely consult the doctor, because I don't want to have problems over the long weekend. Thanks to those of you who always are so sweet to pray for the boo-boos of our lives.

Sam and Micah are about to finish up a public speaking class they have been doing at church. The last class is next Sunday, and the whole congregation will turn out to hear their final lessons. Sam did not much want to do the class, but he has done just fine with it. He told me that he's the song leader and Dan and Micah are the preachers! :) I told him that every young man can give a short talk and needs to learn how. Churches are in dire straits in a lot of places because there are not enough men to take part in the services.

Anyway, Micah has no fear, which would not come as a surprise to anyone who knows him. Brother Mack, who teaches the class, just shakes his head, laughs and says "That Micah...." That just about says it all. Micah did a great job with his talk on Sunday, using visual aids in addition to shuffling a Bible and notes on a podium that was covered with a lot of other things people were using. He handled it like a pro, and it will be neat to see him give the (hopefully more-polished) talk before the whole congregation next Sunday!

Sunday night, we did our usual "hanging out at Wendy's thing" after the services. This is the first congregation I have seen in a long time where the members move as a unit. (I guess that is called "unity!") Being the clique-hating person I am, I love it that any and all are welcome to come, and most do! When the table gets full, we just shove another table in there! Many of us are a little sick of Wendy's food, but the ability to squeeze all of the congregation who want to come in there without any whining from the management is a big draw. They are always very nice and accomodating to us, and I love the fact that we can share that time together and let our kids be with their peers for a while, too. The men get a few tables together, the women claim another part of the restaurant floor, and the kids take over the back side by the windows. It is a nice way to end the day, and I think it is pretty neat that people who worshipped together all day still want to spend more time together after the services!

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is a couple of days away. I will blink, and it will be Christmas. I am looking forward to a couple of days of downtime with Tim and the family, and I hope that wherever you are that you have a wonderful Turkey Day and some restful time off, too!

No comments: