Friday, July 28, 2006

Bye-Bye, July....

Well, seven months of this year have gone by in the bat of an eye. You two faithful readers know that I have spent the majority of this year getting my firstborn out of the house and into his new digs. Hubby Tim told his boss this last week..."Remember my boy that I just moved up to Kentucky the other day?" (Boss nods affirmatively.) "Well, I need Monday off to go up and move him back!" (Boss laughs and nods knowingly. He has teenagers, too.)

I guess if Dan gets all packed up, Monday will be the day we retrieve him from the Bluegrass State. Actually, Tim and Sam will do the retrieving. I will be minding the small kids and animals. Small kids and animals are distracting when you are moving large, heavy furniture and boxes. I think I will be staying home and lending my positive thoughts to the endeavor! I know my husband is thrilled.

I can hardly believe it is time to start school again. Sarah is going to join her cousins Monday for a homeschool scavenger hunt (they have to find their hidden school supplies) and then going to see the visiting Egyptian exhibit at a museum nearby. She will have a full day!

Micah is probably going to get in some of the last of his pool time at Grandma's until next season. We'll "ride the wave" until the weather gets too cool to swim---which usually around here is the end of August. But with the unusual cycle of weather we have had this year, I am not ruling out swimming in December....yet.

Speaking of wacky weather....We have had very few thunderstorms this year as compared to previous years. (That is not a scientific statement by any means. I have nothing more than my perceptions to back up that statement. Perhaps I should say that it SEEMS like we have had very few thunderstorms this year, comparitively speaking.)

Now I hate tornadoes, but I LOVE a good thunderstorm to lull me to sleep. Every since we had the terrible day in April where many were killed in our state in a tornado outbreak, everything has been relatively quiet. We have had a couple of good storms, but nothing major since "the big one." I am just wondering if we are going to really have an active hurricane season like they said we were or not. Of course, we really don't have hurricanes in Tennessee, but we get the remnants of tropical storms coming up from the Gulf.

But I digress....Once we get Daniel back home, then, we will make the second leg of the trip to move what he needs to his grandparents' house so that he can ready for college. Then, I am going to bring him back here and work him like a slave until he starts classes. (Please don't tip him off beforehand!) I have so many things I need a big old strapping boy to do. We are going to clean out the GRODY garage, move a bunch of furniture, possibly do some painting, take some things off to charity and storage, etc. I hope the weather will cooperate---and the kids, too. We need to make some progress in the battle of the bulging closets.

Speaking of closets, we have had disaster in the master BR closet. First, I piled too many heavy things on the top of Tim's rack. The clips that held the shelf on the wall were deficient anyway. We learned this when we went to get more after Tim's shelf fell. There are new and better shelf-holding clips available at your handy-dandy home improvement store. Today, I heard a crash, but I never could pin down where it came from. When I went upstairs later, I found that my clothes shelf was down, and all the stuff on top is in piles on the floor. It is a huge mess. I have a feeling that my monkey-children, Hannah and Sarah, had something to do with the demise of this shelf. However, enough time had passed that I could not prove it. So, tomorrow is "clean the master BR closet day," "get the trailer hitch inspected day" and "tune the car up day" among other things I have on my list to do.

I am getting tired already!

In other news, I am happy to report that Dad has slept in a bed for the first time in a long time for two nights now. That means that enough of the water has come off of him that he can breathe when he lies down now. I pray it will stay off a while. He is still having some adjustments to his other meds, but hopefully, he will have a little season of peace for now.

It is hard to focus with all the stuff going on in the world now. One part of me says this "wars and rumors of wars" is just more of the same, and another part thinks that it really could escalate into something terrible. Whatever happens, God is in control. Yet, we have to be ready....

Have a good weekend, all! :)

No comments: