Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Chill of an Early Fall???

jeremiah29_11

I think it was Thursday afternoon that I stepped outside to take the children somewhere, and the cool just knocked me over! "In all my born days" I have never seen weather like we have had this year in Tennessee. I have just come to expect the unexpected.

I asked my family if anyone could remember a cool day in July. Nobody could. Of course, that does not mean much, but I think the last time we hit the 50's in July in Tennessee was in the early 80's, and I was out of state at the time, which would account for why I don't remember it---ever! Hey, nobody is complaining around here. I am sure there are some grateful road and construction crews, as well as happy people from all walks of life who are outside lots during the days.

Well, I take my big eaglet back to the bus stop after tomorrow's morning church service! I have so enjoyed having him home for nearly two weeks, and though his plans are not finalized, I might be seeing more of him in the near future. I think he has had a very insightful couple of weeks (and so did I, for that matter!) Plans are in the works for his next few years, and we will see what ends up being the Lord's plan for his future! It's gratifying to see God at work in your childrens' lives, because He is, truly, the Master Architect! (Jer. 29:11)

We had as nice of a 4th of July as you can have when one of your patriarchs of the family is ill. I got to see all my state-side brothers and sisters-in-law as well as some extended family on my mother's side at a reunion. It was wonderful, and I think they had the nicest spread of food I have seen in years at a potluck. Everything just went together so well, and a lot of the cooks had really put some time into some elaborate dishes---not just the simple stuff you do a lot of times for picnics. All the food was kept indoors, too, so we did not have the usual Tennessee fly problem to kill your appetite.

Tim and I took about a week of vacation for the price of three days off, because he had a 4 day weekend. It is always nice not to have to burn your vacation days. We spent a lot of time in Mom's inground pool, and my brothers would come over when they could, and before you knew it, all the guys would be wrestling like bear cubs in the water! My sister-in-law and I noted that girls do not seem to have the urge to throw one another in the pool, nor do they rig pool noodles up to the water holes on the pool to shoot huge water cannons at one another! Girls also do not feel the need to climb atop the whale float and bounce up and down until the pool has become a wave pool with 10 foot surges! I can also tell you that I was not at all tempted to do one belly flop! It's a good thing that at least one of the genders is generally a little more reserved, or all of our kids would have been drowned for sure.

While we were vegetating poolside, our younger two boys were off to camp in a state park in Alabama. They had a ball! Sam got his first experience with tubing on the lake! He and Micah made me the cutest coasters, and they had a great time studying the Bible and singing with their peers into the night.

After we came back home, we rested a day or two, and then Daniel talked us into taking him to his favorite restaurant around here...The Olive Garden! In the middle of dinner, I started feeling kind of queasy, but I did not think much about it. I boxed the rest of my dinner and ordered their impossible-to-pass-up tiramisu and coffee. That did not help my tummy any, either. By the time I got home, I was just miserable with nausea.

That is how I have stayed for the last two days. I am nauseated enough to be uncomfortable, but thankfully, I have not been bowing before the porcelain throne. So far, none of the family had shown any signs of being sick either, but within the last few minutes, Tim went up to lie down. We both have to teach tomorrow, so I am just hoping that we will not be deterred by this summer virus which seems to be going around the community. (Get ready with your buckets, Jen! :)

Thanks to all who have contacted me about my dad. His congestive heart failure has been really bad in the last week. As you know, it is really hard to find people or get things done during a holiday week. Next week, hopefully, they can run some more tests and try to pin down what is causing him to spiral downward. All prayers are appreciated.

Well, that is the update for now. I think I am going to catch a late nap, too and try to get rid of the rest of this virus, if that is what it is. I hear the heat is returning next week, so it looks like maybe things will get back to "normal"--if there is such a thing anymore! :)

No comments: