Thursday, January 19, 2006

Busy Weeks

In my last post, as you will recall, I revealed that Tennessee has changed its name to New Florida. The weather here lately has been the wackiest that I have seen in my 43+ years of living here (with brief stints in a few other states now and then.) It has been so warm that at times we have had to raise the windows in the house and put the a.c. on in the car. I have never seen that in January.

Last Friday, the family was all in position to move Daniel to Lexington to begin his official adult life! Tim took the day off, and we were set to start loading as soon as we picked up the truck. Well, first thing that morning, my mother called and asked if we knew that snow was moving into the area, and that Lexington was supposed to get around 3 inches. We were unaware, because we do not have cable any more. By the time we got up and going good, it started to rain. Then, it began to more like monsoon. Tim made a command decision that putting a 26 foot truck on the lawn in the midst of this and then driving 5 hours up the interstate in a possible snowstorm towing another car with me following in our S.U.V. was not how he wanted Daniel to start out his adult life! So, we postponed until this weekend.

The weather has been erratic all week. One day it drops down and snows, and the next, it seems to be back up to 60 degrees. It is no wonder that there is so much sickness around. We need a good hard, prolonged deep freeze to kill off the bugs (insects) and the bugs (germs.)

So, I guess we are going to try again to do the Lexington thing sometime this weekend. We have the truck all weekend, so we don't have to hurry, which is good. Still, it is going to be hard to let go of my firstborn. Those who have not been through it cannot know what I am speaking of. I told someone that Daniel has been with me longer than I have ever been with anyone on earth. He has been with me longer than I lived at home before college. He has been with me longer than I have been married to either of my two husbands. He has been with me since I was 24, so I guess technically, we grew up together.

Daniel has been such a little man all of his life. He was wanting to preach when he was about 5. He informed me when he was 8 that he was the "man of the house" now that his father had left the picture. He has always been incredibly protective of his little brothers and now his sisters. He has always been protective of me as well.

Yes, life will be different for all of us with one of us up in the Bluegrass State. I am happy for him, though. He has done his homework well and found good companions with which to live. It will be four Christian boys in a house--all working and/or going to school. I pray that they will all come to love and appreciate and support one another and build a great relationship.

Meanwhile, I will be a busy bee when we get back. We are going to start an overhaul of the house, moving people around in different bedrooms, painting, sprucing up, etc. I'm looking forward to tossing out a lot of things the kids have outgrown and getting a little new furniture and refinishing some of the older stuff I am getting from my mom. Hopefully, when all is said and done, the girls will have my old bedroom suit, and I will have a thing or two that belonged to my grandmother.

Have a great week and weekend, wherever you are, and I will see you on the flip side of the weekend, Lord willing.

No comments: