Thursday, August 02, 2007

My Two Cents on the Bridge Collapse


I'm sitting here this morning with the bridge collapse being described via streaming video. Since I don't have cable, this is a great feature of computers nowadays.

This event is of particular interest, not only because of the obvious human tragedy, but because my dear-other-half grew up in the Twin Cities. In fact, two brothers and their families still live there. In fact, one of them, dear brother-in-law John, could have been on that very bridge yesterday afternoon, as he usually uses it going home every day. Yesterday, he had to pick his mother-in-law up somewhere, so he went home another way. I shudder to think what could have been.

Meanwhile, other brother-in-law Paul is most likely out there this morning assisting in the rescue effort. He works his day-job with the Highway Dept., but he is a very enthusiastic volunteer firefighter, who was, by all reports, just up on the roof of a burning house the other night. Being as heavy as my dear husband (a near carbon-copy,) the fire chief was apparently a little worried about him being up there. But then, apparently, the chief decided that if the roof could hold Paul, it was safe for the rest of them to go up there! :)

Paul is into some form of peril on nearly a weekly basis. Some weeks are worse than others. I heard that he was out fighting wildfires recently. We worry about him, but apparently, my husband and his brothers have very good guardian angels. You will remember that brother-in-law Billy was in the next building when the Twin Towers went down.

Yes, we're counting our blessings in Gravyville today as we do every day. Say a prayer for my cousin Hugh today, please. He is in his 80's and having a tricky heart procedure done to correct the beat. The top of his heart isn't even beating anymore...it is just fluttering at an astounding 300+ "beats" a minute. He should be in surgery by now.

Well, there is lots to do today. Laundry always calls, and I am afraid I just have to answer.

1 comment:

k8 said...

i have a family friend who has a heart condition almost exactly like that. i hope he made out ok.