Monday, January 22, 2007

O.K., It's Getting Ridiculous Now!


Is it too much to ask for 3 inches of snow so that your children can see what the stuff looks like before they leave home? Apparently, it is if you live in Tennessee. We are nearly to February, and we have had just a few flakes fall in middle Tennessee...nothing to write home about. It is as though a large barrier wall has been installed at the western and northern borders of our state, and no wintry mix is going to get through! Magically, snow turns to rain when it crosses the border from Kentucky to Tennessee!

Now you may think I am crazy to want snow. I mean, who wants the aggravation of driving in the muck? Well, first of all, that is a silly question, because everyone knows that Tennesseans can't drive in snow. If we get even one inch, there is a run on milk and bread at Krogers, and everyone fills his kerosene heater and waits til the storm passes before hitting the roads again. School is canceled, and all life as we know it pretty much comes to a grinding halt--all for snow. And that is the point. I NEED all "life as we know it" to stop for a day or two at least once a year. It clears the mind and makes you able to face anything. You can go back to laundry a renewed person.

I really don't think I am asking for much. I just like to see the faces of little children when the white stuff starts to fall and accumulate in the front yard, and they are counting the seconds until they can don their never-used snowsuits and boots and go out and play. We have grown through 3 snowsuits that have never been used. I don't know why I even bother to buy them. After all, 3 layers of clothes do just about as well. Ask my mom. She might be able to remember the time when we had snow in the Volunteer State!

It's not like I want to live in Canada or something. If I wanted snow all the time, I would simply move to a northern state. I have always loved four seasons, and up until the last few years, we had them around here. It does not take a real Einstein to figure out that something is different. I don't know if it will stay different or not. To add insult to injury, check out this news story. Even Arizona got snow! Don't people move to Arizona because it is like Florida, except drier?

Oh well, what do you do? I love the warmth of Spring, and I will look forward to it, but I would feel just a little better if we arrived there having had at least one good snow. My little girl is 6, and she does not even remember a good snow. Some people I have talked to about this have said, "Why in the world do you want snow?" Uh....because it is beautiful, we don't get it all the time, it's fun to play in, it's a critical ingredient in snowcream, it's hard to sled down a hill without it, it's a special part of the winter season, and because if we don't get some snow soon, a very special Channel Four Snowbird is going to be out of a job....

JennSnowbirdDaniel
Poor Snowbird has been reduced to posing with people in theme parks for a living....Here, he poses with Dan and Jenn last September!

I am having a hard time not coveting the snow in our sister states out west. Some of you have gotten more than enough this year! Want to send some of it this way? Oh, never mind. It would not get past the borders! :)

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I'm with you! I want some snow, too. My husband and I just spent two weeks in Latvia, which is near Russia, and it RAINED the whole time. NO SNOW. I was disappointed. I grew up in Ohio and lived in Wisconsin for 8 years. Somehow, it doesn't seem like we've had *winter* unless we've had snow. Let's hope our friends across the borders will "blow" some this way!

Laurie in the Smokies