Wednesday, December 06, 2006

One More Tribute and Prayer Request

My maternal grandmother, Mom, Dad, my paternal grandmother, 1961

Before we leave in the wee hours of the morning to attend the open heart surgery of my dad, I wanted to leave a brief tribute for two of the women who deeply shaped who I am today. My two grandmothers, pictured above with my parents on the eve of their wedding in 1961, were born on December 6 and December 7. My maternal grandmother, born on the 7th, died on December 6th in 1987. My paternal grandmother passed at Thanksgiving two years ago. They were both beautiful women with indomitable spirits, and their impact on my life was huge. I miss them both every day, but I strangely also feel them ever with me. When I am in a tight, I can hear them whispering advice. I know it is just the memories of times spent talking about everything under the sun, and soaking in their sage wisdom. Still, their voices are as clear as a bell when I need their motherly advice. They were such ladies, of the true Southern variety, incredible cooks, and they made us all laugh all the time!
Tomorrow, on the anniversary of "Nanny's" birth, I am sure both mothers will be with us, in our hearts if nothing else (no pun intended). Dad's surgery begins a little after 5:30, and it is expected to last 6 hours. Keep us in your prayers.

"Mammaw" (left) 12-06-21 to 11-22-04
"Nanny" (right) 12-07-04 to 12-06-1987

No comments: