Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Happy Birthday, Sammer!



Oh, how Sam's nurses loved him and hated to let him go after his 18 days in the hospital when he was born!


Newborn Sam, before they shaved off what little hair he had!


Well, another "baby" is legal today! This day, 18 years ago, at 4:53 in the morning, 7 lb. 5 oz. Sam was born into this world. Today, he stands about 6'4" and has not gained a lot of weight since his birth, relatively speaking. I call him my rail!

They are just getting away from me faster than I can stand! Sam is the kind of boy that every parent longs for. He is strong, smart, sensitive, and just plain old good! He has been a joy to me from the time he was a baby up until this very day! I can't remember him having a "hateful" period in his teen years.

Sam has a gift for healing! His hands are magic on a headache, and he has conforted so many who were sick or dying with his special touch. Maybe it is because he had so many healing hands on him the day he was born. I did not know if my little blue baby was going to breathe, but he finally did, and he continues to touch lives.

He drove solo last weekend with his brother to the next town, and sang until curfew with his peers in the Lord. It was a heart-tugging thing to send another little bird on his first "long-distance" solo flight, but he returned to the nest unscathed and jubilant and ready to do it again A.S.A.P.

I don't know why it is so hard for me to let go of my kids and send them off into the world, which is the natural order of things. I guess the more profoundly you love them, the harder it is. Wow! Shouldn't that tell us something about God's love in sending his Son down here?

Happy Birthday, Sammer! We love you!


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hope you have a wonderful birthday, Sam!! :)